Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Today: brought to you by my ADD.


Couldn't make up my mind today - found lots of little stuff worth a few sentences, nothing that really developed into more than a paragraph or two. So, courtesy of my stunted attention span, here's a "Wednesday linkdown."


1. Under the "please tell they're kidding about the name" heading, Apple officially introduced the -- wait for it -- iPad. Not the iTab (which would have made more sense in a tablet pc context). The iPad. And females the world over winced. The good news: males and females alike will soon be able to shell out $499 for a pad. A pad holds 16 gigs of multimedia goodness and reads e-books. The pad will not necessarily go grocery shopping for you or walk the dog, but most everything else will probably be taken care of by an app. Pretty soon you'll probably be able to get married courtesy of an app with a clever name like iRev or iPreach or iRab...


2. Angelina hates the Big Easy. According to US, "...Pitt is devoted to the Mardi Gras burg because it allows him to indulge in his passions for architecture and environmentalism (he established a foundation to build 150 "green" homes in the wake of Hurricane Katrina). If the actor had his way, he'd love settle down in the southern town with Jolie and their six kids."


But on the flip side: Jolie "gets really bored" there, and would prefer staying at Chateau Miraval, their 1000-acre, $70 million estate in Provence, France -- and continue traveling the world. Yet Pitt has lost the globetrotting bug." Ehh.....I'm confused. How can this woman EVER be bored? 6 kids? And not just marginally bored, but "REALLY BORED." Witness my "obnoxious celebrity pity meter" dropping rapidly. Go bust out Apples to Apples and play a round or two with some of those kids.


3. Did my eyeball just pop out of my skull a little bit? Yes it did. Because I just read this: "California School District Bans Dictionary Over 'Oral Sex' Definition." Your eyes do not deceive you. The words Dictionary and Ban were just used in the same headline. 9000 students in that Riverside county district have just been subjected to one of the most heinous academic injustices administrators could possible perpetrate on their young minds. Knowledge of the English language has been deemed inappropriate. Here's a quote from the executive director of the California First Amendment Coalition, Peter Scheer: "Whether banning a dictionary would actually violate free-speech laws is a complicated legal question...But the decision to remove the reference books certainly offends free-speech principles and values that all public schools should hold dear." I'll say.


This skims the surface of another American Pop Culture pet peeve I nurse from time to time: we're very comfortable with gratuitous violence. We're particularly uncomfortable with sex. Case in point: Merriam-Webster's definition of a sexual practice becomes the enemy. Riddle me this: I'll bet the word "disembowel" is in that same dictionary. I'll bet a curious kid could stumble across that word. I'll bet he's neither going to strike out on a disembowling rampage nor encourage his other students to experiment with disembowelment. And if he did, I'll bet it probably wouldn't get blamed on the dictionary. This is one story I'm following....stay tuned. Never underestimate the destructive potential of fear-mongers "protecting" their young.


4. I'm sleeping with this picture under my pillow for the next 100 days. To ward off the Nick Nolte dreams, you know. Iron Man 2: May 7th.


5. On the other hand, not sleeping with this picture under my pillow. Or anywhere near me. This one has me at a loss. Let's leave it at that. And to clear your mind (you know, I wouldn't want to cause anyone to, uh, stumble (???) over the, uh, snake in the grass) I'll offer you this: the latest in the Stephen Colbert v Miracle Whip campaign. Score one for the Whip.


6. I can't help myself, I love the Ludacris. Apparently so do these girls. This video will pretty much change the way you think about those "dancing in your undies in front of the mirror" moments. You know you do it. After watching this, you'll be looking over your shoulder for the next three weeks..."Dirty South....is that you? Did I dance well enough to bring on the magic Get Low genie??????" Welcome to the next generation of slumber parties.


7. Saved the best for last. SIX MORE DAYS TIL LOST RETURNS!!!!!!!!!! Dig that last supper photo. Also dig this particular PopCandy link-centric post about its return....this is sort of the Sephora of resources for Lost junkies. Everything, all in one place.


No comments:

Post a Comment