Friday, July 22, 2011

Operation Naked Face - 12 days and counting.



  Okay - ignore for a moment the fact that I'm making a similarly funny face in both pictures (and that I wear the same headband nearly every day) and instead appreciate that I'm sharing pictures* of my nearly two-week-long foray into makeuplessness. Operation Naked Face 2011.

I'm not sure what precipitated the "let's shed the mascara and brow gel and end the quest for the perfect 'shimmering champagne/taupe/bronze/hint of raisin' eye shadow and go baby-faced for two weeks" beauty about-face, BUT - if nothing else, I'm enjoying a recurring jolt of PURE FLIPPIN GLEE every time I rub my eyes. Which I've been doing vigorously, repeatedly, lots -- BECAUSE I CAN. 


Yes, I look about thirteen. Yes, I sat in my soul-sucking cubicle and took pictures of myself two days in a row. But I can say this: there's something infinitely time-saving about this approach, and it's certainly cheaper, long-term. And makes makeup "fun" again.  As in, "hmmm, maybe I"ll treat this evening as a special occasion and break out the ol' mascara. Or maybe not." So far the answer has been "Or maybe not," but it's given my poor face a break. 

I'm certain there were times in (very recent) Heather History when a trip to the Starbucks drive-thru on a Saturday morning would not have been conducted without some concealer, but now that I'm dipping a toe into "life with some under-eye circles," I'm actually surprisingly unselfconscious with the state of my face.

"Yeah, yeah, yeah. Ooh, ahh, give yerself a medal - you've gone TWELVE WHOLE DAYS without the clumpy black stuff on your eyes - good for you -- uh, there are totally those of us who do this EVERY DAY...."

Well, you're better women than I. Or you're a dude. But probably not because I suspect very few dudes clicked this link. Basically. And if you did, good on ya. Welcome to Mind of Girl. Meet The Girl who's made a hobby out of curling her eyelashes. The Girl who carries the entire bathroom drawer around in her purse "just in case she needs to touch-up." The Girl who owns at least 24 different shades of eyeshadow that would appear to the uninformed examiner as "brown" (unless you're my momma and can match me shade for shade). BUT: I'm proud of my twelve days.

It's a weak, vain brand of pride, but I'm proud just the same.

Blessedly, my coworkers recognize me, the dog doesn't bolt away from me whining, I've had NO "my goodness, you look TIRED" comments and I've saved HOURS of my time over the past few weeks (hours that I've obviously redirected into super-noble pursuits like online shoe shopping).

Things that I haven't given up: tending to my eyebrows. They get plucked and combed and trimmed just the same (they just end up looking uneven and sparse and pale). I still slather on the moisturizer. I'm never without my chapstick. HOWEVER -- this is monumental.

It feels good. Clean. SIMPLE.

I'm gonna keep it up.

(just hide my eyelash curler from me or it's all downhill from there.......)

*Because I'm feeling particularly brave, you can click the pictures to zoom 'em. Really zoom 'em. Am I ballsy or am I ballsy (and in need ot a root touch-up, apparently)?

No comments:

Post a Comment