Wednesday, December 27, 2006

this year, there shall be partying.


Someone heard that I like champagne.

I got something like 10 bottles of it for Christmas (and I've still got my crown Dom Perignon jewel from the wedding waiting for a special occassion). I think that pretty much necessitates a New Year party.

This is new for me. I tend not to give New Year's Eve much attention. I think it has something to do with media hype, my general reisistance to playing into the expectation that I want to party with local dj's and a general distaste for crowds that "oooh" and "aahhh" over fireworks (fireworks are fine. ooohing and aaahing...gets my blood up).

Some years I go to movies at 11 pm just to miss the hype. Some years I rent an armful of movies and maybe - MAYBE - pause one of them at about 11:57, just in time to throw something at the tv when the irritating "local television personality" in earmuffs and windblown, rained-on hair tries to get me excited about the antics of the "local radio personality" they've sent out to irritate the "revelers." Some years I go to bed at 10:30.

This year, however, something's changed. I've got the New Year's Eve itch...(and enough champagne to fuel a decent celebration....). I want to wear silly plastic headbands that say "2007" on them (er, wait, no....I don't) and swagger around downtown in the cold hoping to bump into local television personalities (er...so I can throw things at them...yeah...), then lay a big one on K at the end of the evening while we're laughing about things that aren't funny, having fun with people we don't like, hugging people we don't know, singing along to songs we've never heard before and pretending to have fun in cold, chilly, rainy weather that we can't stand. Then we'll shove our faces full of late-nite fast food before we wander on home in the wee hours of the morning and fall asleep with our clothes on and wake up at noon fiendishly craving eggs and hot sauce...

Or, I could stay home, order pizza, hoard all of the Nicholas Feuillate and go to bed early....easy, familiar, warmer...

Yep, I've been an old lady all my life...

1 comment:

  1. I usually stay far, far away from the NYE thing as well. Too many New Year's spent at a party or bar with drunk friends doing the "I loved you, you fucker" routine with everyone.

    However, this year, Lit-girl has convinced me to live it up a little. We'll see...

    Whatever you decide to do, have a great NYE, champagne and all!!!

    ReplyDelete