Monday, May 3, 2010

final mention of the Chickenwich: it was SO. GOOD.



First off: I'd say "hormones made me do it" (which is 50% true), but really, honestly, I've just been enamored with this thing I've deemed Chickenwich since before it was even officially on the menu.

Yesterday I got myself my very own Double Down ("Original fried" not "grilled" because, frankly, as sis and I agreed - two slabs of grilled chicken with some cheese between them sounds, um....slimy? messy? Like a chickenwich anti-climax).

It was - surprisingly - absolutely, incredibly, exceptionally delicious.

It was - also, surprisingly - not messy.

It was cheesy, chicken-ee perfection. I'm (unfortunately) hooked.

I'll describe it this way:

2 perfectly peppery, oversized chicken nuggets with some slightly melted cheese and a slice of bacon in the middle. Add some mystery orange sauce (which could have been messy, but was slathered in reasonable proportions and managed to just seep down into the little fried chicken crevices and didn't so much as leak down my fingers or even dribble into the little protective paper wrapping). Has all the potential to be the new Taco Bell of late night post-drinking, booze-absorbing junk food.

Nearly finished the entire thing. This is significant because I have trouble finishing an entire McDonald's cheeseburger on an average day (call it more an exercise of conscience rather than lack of appetite, I guess).

Couldn't tell you the last time I actually ate something from KFC. Now I'm afraid it will be my go-to PMS antidote (previously I'd run to the loving embrace of something like Stuffed Crust Pizza Hut when I need to get my greasy fix for those "I"m already retaining water, what's a little extra sodium and fat?) days.

It was better than I imagined. I'd feared dry chicken. Or drippy, greasy, slips-from-your-fingers chicken. Or tough, rubbery bacon. Or oozy, sticky, running-for-its-life cheese mess. None of the above. It really is a masterfully engineered beauty of fast food.

And I just keep telling myself "the cravings will subside, the cravings will subside." Praying that's true. I'm already wearing an extra eight around the hips these days - I don't need Double Down on the thighs as well. But really: SO. GOOD.


No comments:

Post a Comment