Saturday, April 10, 2010

Confession:

I have a handful of secret celebrity crushes that I should be completely embarrassed to admit.

BUT, since it's Friday and there's nothing irritating happening with either Jennifer Aniston or John Mayer for me to whine about I may as well fill up some space with what I shall call my "Ew, you actually think HE'S sexy?!?!?!" list. Don't judge. You totally had a moment 10 years ago when you thought Kevin Spacey was cute, too. Kevin Spacey: not on the list, by the way. Also not on the list: any actor in any way associated with the Twilight franchise. Although I do find all of those guys uncomfortable-looking. But not in a hot way.

Anyway.

I've got my "above ground" celebrity infatuations. The Christopher Meloni. The Bradley Cooper. The Jason Statham. The Sam Worthington. The Aaron Eckhart. The Peter Sarsgaard. Just about any bald action star. Billy Zane once he became bald.

But then there are the OTHERS.

The ones I watch on screen and secretly think, "Yeah, I'd totally be his arm candy," then catch myself and think, "Whoa, did you really just think some, um, impure thoughts about THAT GUY?"

But enough pre-amble. Here's my Super Secret List, in no fancy order:.


Stanley Tucci
So, I like the look of gentleman with hair in all the wrong places. Nothing on top, rug on chest. Apparently. Because in Julie and Julia when he was canoodling The Meryl, he sure looked great. And it's not just the "looks great" part, although this list wouldn't be embarrassing and previously super-secret if I were compiling it based on the virtues of these guys' character or the quality of their artistic pursuits. If it were just "odd-looking men I respect" list, I wouldn't be so surreptitious about revealing them publicly. This is all about "why on earth do I find this guy hot?" Anyway: Stanley Tucci. He's charming. Adorable. Even with a mustache. Here: you can read about his latest theater directorial efforts.


Jeff Bridges
I know, he's historically been a sort of hunky guy - but not for ladies of my generation. He's "The Dude" to most of us. Aha - here's the shocker: The Dude: totally hot. I dunno, I guess the dorky way he pinned his hair back for bowling got me. That little clamp/clip thing that he was startlingly efficient with - cute. He does "unkempt" really well. Mangy beard, awful hair, little bit of a spare tire - but it works. Furthermore: the way he looked back in his more traditional "heartthrob days?" Less hot. A little more forgettable. Once he got the more seasoned lines on his face, he became more interesting. Oh - and in Iron Man? BALD. Yep. That was probably what initially caught my interest. Bald & Bearded. The fact that his hot mess Crazy Heart character was so accidentally charming didn't hurt, either. Here's a little snippet of him from the annual USA Today Oscar Nominee Roundtable.


Star of the Brittish 'Office Ricky Gervais stops by the David Letterman show in NYC, NY on March 31, 2010 where he was a guest. Fame Pictures, Inc

Ricky Gervais
Let's call this the "rock star" effect. That phenomenon where someone is talented and therefore considered sexy by virtue of artistic savvy...someone who wouldn't necessarily turn your head if they worked in the cubicle next to you, but put them on stage and give them fans and -- bam -- they're sexy. I think that's basically what's going on with Ricky Gervais. He's smart. Endearing. Witty. And, frankly, in these pictures (which may or may not have had something to do with his entire tirade against the homogenization of Hollywood and it's expectations of physical perfection) I think he's looking particularly good. I like the scruffy face. The little bags under his eyes. He's got a great grin, and I, personally, rather like his strange teeth. I have strange teeth myself.


Steve Carell
We're supposed to think this guy is funny, I don't know that we're necessarily supposed to think he's foxy. Hmm. Well, then he shouldn't have made Dan in Real Life where he showed Dane Cook how it's really done. On a feature-by-feature basis he's particularly average. Wonky nose. Unusual ear-to-head ratio. Outdated hair. Droopy eyes. But put it all together and he's strangely compelling to look at. Cute. And have we noticed he's even got a decent chest and a nice set of shoulders? This newsweek editorial made the interesting comment that "Date Night" could have starred the ol' Jennifer Aniston/Gerard Butler duo and everyone would have hated it. But pair Steve with Tina and it's a hit before it's even in theatres - therefore: the guy deserves more respect in Hollywood. Follow Heather's lead: appreciate the Carell magnetism. Dorky can be sexy, too.

So there. I know there are more - drew a little bit of a blank although I was trying to come up with a nice even half dozen....ones that almost made the list: David Eigenberg, Eddie Izzard, Alan Rickman, Terry O'Quinn, John Slattery. But I figured they weren't actually embarrassing enough. Well, Alan Rickman....yeah, I probably shouldn't admit that one too often.....

No comments:

Post a Comment