Wednesday, July 25, 2012

I shouldn't care. BUT........if two hipster vamps can't make it last, WHAT HOPE REMAINS?!?!?!


So. Turns out it's true.

This is one of those gossip stories that has me inexplicably BUMMED, dude.

Bummed.

Usually, I couldn't give two pop tarts whether or not some famous person cheated on another famous person (it's par, right? that's what HAPPENS in Hollywoodland), BUT.... for some reason....hearing that Kristen Stewart MAY have run around on R-Patt with her Snow White and the Yadda Yadda director (who is married --to a MODEL -- and has a couple of kiddos, mind ya) made me grumpy. Grumpy on a sort of visceral, "why is this bothering me so much" sort of level.

I didn't WANT to believe that those pictures of Mr Director and K-Stew are legit, but....um.....I think they're legit. IF, that is, we believe that sort of grainy photos scanned from the inside of a magazine are ACTUALLY the two in question. Frankly, (the doubtful, bummed) part of me wants to think some random US Weekly intern staged a make-out session in the company Town Car with the Guy From the Mail Room and sold it to her editors as the biggest deal this side of TomKat, but...........

But then the skittles hit the fan and Kristen actually issued a public statement, via People:

"I'm deeply sorry for the hurt and embarrassment I've caused to those close to me and everyone this has affected. This momentary indiscretion has jeopardized the most important thing in my life, the person I love and respect the most, Rob. I love him, I love him, I'm so sorry," 

Dude.........

To make matters, worse, the person on the receiving end of her "love and respect" didn't even hear it from her directly. Nope -- via "Hollywood Life:"

“Robert actually found out about this via his people sometime on Monday when people at US Weekly contacted his people to tell them they were going to run the story. Kristen did not tell him about her cheating. Robert was completely blindsided by the news.”

And, there be the transgressors, right there. 

And hey, I understand that all of the focus is on K-Stew and R-Patt since they're "the famous ones," but man -- for a married woman to (presumably) find out that the father of her children was running around on you via the tabloids: can we all just agree to be Team Wife and Kids? 

Director Man (fine, Rupert Sanders) also issued a statement via People:

"I am utterly distraught about the pain I have caused my family...My beautiful wife and heavenly children are all I have in this world. I love them with all my heart. I am praying that we can get through this together."

Ah, everyone's suddenly in pain and distraught, begging for forgiveness, hmm? 

Come on, tools, let's be honest: you're not really terribly sorry for the hurt you caused your families and lovers by cheating -- that was selfish and without regard for the people you'd hurt. You ARE, however, terribly sorry for the hurt and embarrassment and pain you've caused yourselves by getting caught.

Gross over-generalization? SURE. But -- if the timeline holds -- Kristen and Director were snapped together as recently as last week. Which seems like an enterprising paparazzo snagged the pictures, sold 'em to Us Weekly, and it's taken a few days to put the story together to the point that they could run it today -- because they knew it was true, and wanted to dot and cross I's and T's before they pulled back the curtains.


Look -- I don't want to get into a cycle of "slut-shaming" where we fling around the phrase "home-wrecker" and damn only the interlopers, because, let's face it, every relationship is more complex than that and indiscretions are seldom as black-and-white or as "good guy/bad guy" as tabloids want us to believe. BUT -- in this case, I'm bummed because it seems like dear old Sparkles actually WAS a good guy, who believed in fidelity (remember those Vanity Fair comments? He said something along the lines of, "But there's a thing I've never got: That is, why do people cheat? I can understand the impulse, but not how you can keep two relationships going at the same time for long."). Here, he's getting the short end of the icky stick. AND -- if we thought those Twihards were desperate to get their geek-fingers on R-Patt before? Imagine how fiercely their little "hope flame" will burn if he and Kristen split.

Not to mention: this will make promotional duties for the final Twilight installment VERY, very interesting.

I'm probably also bummed because I actually really like Kristen Stewart -- I think she gets an unfair rap for her acting ability, I think she's young, and is just figuring out what types of soundbites to feed to interviewers in order to sound "smart and accessible" versus "aloof and pretentious" and I think she does take her career and her craft pretty seriously.

Peripherally, I'm thinking this:

She's 22 years old, and, as many girls who went through stages of infatuation with men in positions of influence will tell you: it's easy to be taken advantage of, and not realize that you were being taken advantage of by people willing to abuse their power until WELL after it's all over and done. You believe you're an equal participant, you believe you're making an adult decision, you believe you have yourself under control. You don't realize that you're just as swayed by the Title and the Power and the Influence and the Magnetism as you are the Actual Person. She's young. She's famous. She's in full "invincibility" mode. She gets to live through her mistakes in front of the court of public opinion, which makes this doubly ugly. I'm not making excuses for her, I'm breaking down why she may have been vulnerable to advances that she didn't realize were as inappropriate and predatory as they look from the outside.

Dudes: what's with the matching outfits?

Mostly, though -- I feel for the wife and mother who is now splashed across every tabloid as the "Woman Married to the Director Who Nailed Kristen Stewart."  As the woman who's going to be expected to make some sort of statement begging for privacy while you work through things, or as the woman who's expected to toss the cheating baby daddy out of the house.

This is not the kind of  "fame" you want added to your gossip dossier. This is not the sort of reputation you want your children to see slapped on their family. This is not the sort of notoriety anyone ever envisions having to navigate when they settle down, get married, have some babies.

It's lame, all around.

Yeah -- this is one cheating scandal that just flat BUMS me out. Because I didn't want it to be true. Because I'm disappointed that it's true.




No comments:

Post a Comment