Thursday, July 26, 2007

myspace: feeding the ravenous socially voyeuristic streak in all of us


I've decided the only reason I still waste any time on myspace is, ultimately, a creepy reason.

I'm a myspace spy.

I'm one of those "virtual lurkers" that hops from page to page to page just "checking in" on people...reading comments, cruising pictures, weaving through a "friend maze" until I'm looking at pictures of people I've never met but who might be friends with a friend of a friend of a friend that I may have vaguely known through someone else years ago in college. I can stumble across a play-by-play of someone's wedding, camping trip, graduation, drunken frat party, find out who misses who and who hasn't seen who in a long time...all from the comfort of my own little computer desk.
Creepy.

Addictive. Creepy. Because I know there are people out there lurking in on my life...and even more strange: doesn't bother me (of course, I guess I wouldn't blog or even bother with a myspace page if I were much afraid of e-voyeurs. Afterall, isn't it fun to feel like you were "really there" for someone else's trip or family reunion or bachelorette party or the birth of someone's first child...when you vaguely remember that someone being a friend of your little sister's back in grade school?

Anyway - for now, as long as people are updating their profiles with fun pictures they took of themselves at arm's length off some friend's balcony on the 4th of July, I'll probably be there, lurking.

creeeeeeepy.

1 comment:

  1. Word. I spend more time cyberstalking than actually interacting with people. What's wrong with us?

    ReplyDelete